Monday, June 27, 2011

The Green Lantern

As far as green superheros go, the Green Hornet is way cooler, but I do have to say that the Green Lantern is pretty cool too. Now I know nothing about the Green Lantern comics, so with that I really had no reference in which to judge this movie. So instead I just sat back and allowed myself not to think, not to  have high hopes, and just be entertained. By the end of the movie I would have to say that I was definitely entertained and not disappointed. I enjoyed watching the special effects and the neat fighter jet scene. I do find Ryan Reynolds to be more of a 'funny man' kind of actor, but thought he did a fairly good job as the Green Lantern. I also enjoyed the plot concept of willpower vs. fear. I think it has real world applications and I'm sure everyone can relate to an experience when they had to use willpower to overcome a fear. So in that sense everyone is as cool as the Green Lantern. Especially the 40 some year old guy who sat in front of me at the theater wearing his Green Lantern t-shirt and replica ring, but he was there with a lady so I guess that means miracles do happen right. Now to explain the plot I'm going to use very general concepts cause all of the names in this movie are very "alieny" and I can't remember any of them. OK here we go, Hal Jordan is a great fighter pilot who only thinks of himself and blew it with his love along time ago. She is also the daughter of the man who Hal flys plains for, so they still get to see each other. The primary villan is a giant head thing, which gets its power from fear. He escapes his imprisonment, then starts destroying planets and kills one of the Green Lanterns, who lands on earth before dying. The ring then chooses Hal who becomes the new Green Lantern. He is flown up to the planet where all the lanterns are, and taught how to use his powers and there he is told he will never live up to his predecessor. Back on earth, an animal biologist completes an autopsy on the dead alien, and becomes infected from remnants of the flying head in the dead Lantern's body and turns into an evil big head guy himself. This new sidekick of the flying heas is also in love with the same lady as Hal which makes for so a small fight at the end of the movie for her. Hal defeats the big head guy and then has to defeat the giant floating head fear guy. There is also the story line of Hal wanting to quit being a Green Lantern but he can't, finding himself and overcoming, and the whole love story thing. Now I can't say that I would go out and buy this movie but it's still a definite rent for ya. So put on your green tights get out your sweet replica ring and let your green light shine on.
Rating: 3 Yeti Roars out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment